Tuesday, April 8, 2008

so sad :(

I thought I'd start a new tradition over here at AdventureinAtlantaGa. (yes that is a link back to me)


I thought once a month at any random time I'd post an embarrsing moment from the life of me. This one though I have to warn you although is quite embarrsing for me will probably make most of you cry. Really. if you don't cry you might need to go see your bishop because clearly you have no soul and the spirit no longer resides in you. Now I know this isn't a funny post and I don't know why I'm sharing it but I started thinking about jr high because I recently found some old jr high friends and this is kindof like my only journal... and I rarely journal stuff like this... well anyway... here you go.

Some of you may know I had cancer when I was a kid. for those who didn't know - guess what I had cancer when I was a kid... I don't talk about it much (unless people ask me questions and then I start talking and get all dramatic and tell all the juicy gory details)

I pretty much didn't go to 7th and 8th grade. In fact in 7th grade before we found it was cancer (I had been staying at home so much because I was sick) The principal called one morning and I was afraid to get my mom so I pretended I was her (I think I tried to make my voice lower)

Yes this is mr. so and so is Mrs. Taylor there?
oh crap
This is her.
I'm Shellie's principal here at Midway Middle School. We are quite concerned with the amount of school she's missed.
Oh yes she's been really sick. We think she has a goiter.

Well it wasn't a goiter :)


At the end of 8th grade I started going back to school at Rigby Jr High. One week was Spirit Week. Where each day had a different theme like Wear your clothes backwards or Wear Maroon and Gold. Then there was "Crazy Hair Day" Which um I didn't have. and I didn't have a wig ... I just used bandanas and hats(keepin it real yo) . But today was the day... I was going to school bald and beautiful! But I still wanted to be crazy so I decided to paint my head yellow and red (the closest we had to maroon and gold) By myself I painted my head Yellow. And then while carefully looking in the mirror I painted "RJH #1" on one side and "RJH Rules!" On the other side in red.

I went to school very excited to show off my cutely painted head but as soon as I entered those doors and saw all those kids I started feeling really dumb. As I walked down towards the lockers some kids noticed, some kids didn't, some kids kind of pointed, and some kids just stared. But then I heard a group of boys whispering "What is that written on her head?" "I don't know" I hurry and went into the bathroom... and it looked fine to me "RJH #1" on one side "RJH Rules!" on the other. Then I went to class and and saw my friend Nikki and asked her if my head looked dumb... and she was like "no its fine... well except why did you write that it makes no sense" I was like what I wrote "RJH #1" and she was like "no you didn't... it's that but backwards." I guess I didn't realize that if you paint something in the mirror you have to do it the opposite. Man I felt so embarressed. I didn't even bring a bandana to cover it up. And I didn't want to wash it off because then I'd be really BALD. So for the rest of the day I just kept to myself... oh and avoided the boys who called me "chemo"



How sad.

22 comments:

Beeswax said...

Okay, because of the time change, I am actually commenting BEFORE you posted (it is 8:55 here in PHX). Which is sort of awesome.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to hear from new people! Come back soon and leave me witty, barb-y (not a word? meant: full of barbs) comments (I read your post on leaving comments. I 100% agree.)

The artwork today is really top-notch! I'm so sorry about the cancer. Seriously. That's awful. I'm sure you've heard it before, but if you had to miss two years of school, 7th and 8th grade were the ones to miss.

Back then, sometimes I'd daydream about having a goiter. You, too, I guess.

Shan @ Design Gal said...

OMG! Shellie I'm so sorry! That is terrible- I HATED middle school- seriously, I think I went home crying 90% of the time. Boys are so mean at that age- their awkward and just dumb!
I agree with Kelly- 7th & 8th were the ones to miss!
I must also say, kudos to you, for being the brave 8th grader you were! :)

Leah said...

I still have to give you credit for being brave and TRYING!!! What a strong person you must be now having battled cancer, won, and survived embarrassing moments with the ability to tell the tales...

If it makes you feel any better, here's my most embarrassing moment:
http://laughingleahloveslillies.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-embarrassing.html

If I read yours, it's only fair I let you read mine! LOL

Austin said...

Shellie I'd never heard that story before. That is embarassing, but in hindsight is so funny. You're the best. That is a beautilicious story.

bv said...

Shell, For so many reasons you are one of my favorite people ever. Really.

I cry all of the time and this one definitely hit the charts. I'm sure people in the office are looking at me like I have a yellow head. love you!

Taylor Anne Vail said...

you have always been so strong. I remembering thinking you were so cool and funny when we were younger. When we would do projects at my house yours always turned out so much better! I use to wish I was half as cool as you... I still do!:)
Love you
Tiff

Sharie said...

I remember your bald days and I have to say that if anyone could have pulled off that look as a Jr. Higher, it was you! I thought you were adorable. Although I don't particularly remember the painted head day, I do remember your cute bandanas and your blog has reminded me of what a funny and refreshingly real personality you have. I'm so glad you found me! (that sounds gay, but you know what I mean!)

Lisa K said...

I think it's funny that Shell faked a goiter and Kelly daydreamed of having one. I really do have one and it sucks!

also known as shell said...

the goiter thing came from my grandpa and grandma murdock. I would have never known what a goiter was if they hadn't given us an entire set of encyclopedia britanica :) So when I got sick and saw this huge lump growing out of the side of my neck I researched myself what I thought it was and the only thing that came close was a picture of some kids in africa with goiters becuase they didn't get enough iodine. (which I did try to cure myself by promptly eating tons of salt on my food.)

Leah said...

Consider your previously unlinked status a major oversight on my part. Thought I'd added you, must not have pressed "save changes" after having pressed "add link". *hangs head in shame for the oversight, while cowering sligtly in the corner from the threats of exploding computers* LOL!!!

btw, LOVING the new bloggy friendship I've made here. You are just my kind of gal.

another btw, my auntie followed one of your comments back here and tried to comment, but you don't allow non-bloggers to comment. she was sad. she WOULD have commented. just so you know!

Our Family said...

Hey Shellie, I love the pictures you drew of your head! I must have missed the crazy hair day, I don't remember you doing that, but it is so funny! I always felt intimidated by you. I have always loved your personality, and just thought you were so fun, cute, smart, and of course cool!

Our Family said...

I don't know if that made any scene... sorry I am retarded

Jessie said...

I am loving it that I am learning more and more about you through your blog....gotta love the visual that you provided :)

also known as shell said...

oh jillsy poo I had no idea you were intiminated by little geeky me. if anything I was intiminated by all ya'll.

Jessie said...

by the way here is where I got my background for my blog http://cutestblogontheblock.blogspot.com/

Shan @ Design Gal said...

P.S. I LOVE THE SONG ON YOUR BLOG! I *heart* Leona Lewis! Good song!

Jen said...

OMG your stories made me cringe! Poor thing. I have plenty of embarrassing stories but not enough guts to share them.
OH the camera. I have the canon digital rebel XTI. I used to have the canon powershot s500...until it died. You can get awesome shots with any camera. Just read read read read, stalk photo message boards, and practice a ton. If there is anything particular you want to know or need help with email me jmspics@gmail.com
I will share any and all my info if you want it

Melissa said...

MIddle school was hard enough without having to have thing that make you stick out. Glad to hear that you can laugh at yourself now. Are you compleltly cancer fre now?e

Natalie said...

Look at all the love! The world would be a sadder place without you...you make me smile and I hardly know you! So glad you made it through the cancer. You are amazingly strong. The drawings are the best! I picture you at the computer taking the time to draw the visual aids for your blog. Hilarious!

Chad said...

Aww honey. That is a new story for me. I have been trying to think about what I could post on it. Still not sure but I love ya.

also known as shell said...

yes it is in remission (14 years)

Kate said...

Shellie,
The counselor in me came out while reading your blog and then I thought about when I was an 8th grader, and I didn't have 1/2 the confidence you did to even paint your head yellow. You are awesome. Boys are so dumb at that age. They used to tell me all the time (when I was in 8th grade) that I would be hot if my eyes weren't so big. About the goiter...If I have this disease that the doctor is sending me to a specialst to figure out if I have it or not....then I seriously might get one. Will you paint it yellow for me and put "KJ rules" on it???