Wednesday, April 23, 2008

C is for Cookie

So while Lisa and I were in Savannah (you remember that trip right) where we almost got murdered. Twice! well I told ya'll about the one incident but the other one where we almost got murdered by two dudes in an antique/swap meet shop owes itself to this thing that I HAD to have.



yes this cookie jar. With a jaunty blue top hat. and a keg around his neck for cookies.


Why? because its almost an exact replica of a cookie jar my gr. grandma jense had in her house. and my great grandma was like one of the sweetest things that has ever lived. and seeing this cookie jar makes me so unbelievably happy and brings back so many good memories that I almost pass out just looking at it.

Lisa and I were walking along on our way to eat at Lady and Sons and there in the window he sat. It was like fate. I mean seriously I could have gone in a million different antique stores and never found one like it.

It got me thinking how in the world does someone look for something from their past when they have no idea where to look?

When I got home I was wondering was I really lucky or is there like a million of these same cookie jars floating around out there?

so I googled "Dog Cookie Jar"
and clicked on a couple different things but nothing really worked out.

so then I google image searched "Dog Cookie Jar"
still the results still didn't amount to anything. there was one that kind of looked like it. (4th one over) but I mean really not even close.

When you are looking for something that you are not even sure how to describe or search for just google whatever you can to get you leads. cause I was thinking "I don't even have a clue who makes it!" I checked the bottom, inside, everywhere and anywhere on the jar and there is no inkling to the maker.

Well it looks kindof like a cocker spaniel to me. so I googled "Cocker Spaniel Cookie Jar" Well tons came back and still nothing was close. mostly just fancy canisters with a cocker spaniel painted on it.

So I added to my search "Cocker Spaniel Cookie Jar Keg" and the very first listing was
"Treasure Craft puppy dog with his cookie keg around his neck.Looks like a little cocker spaniel. Jar has the treasure Craft sticker inside the jar. ..." at this place Cyberattic.com

but when I clicked on the link it looked like it had been sold or something.

That search did give me a clue to maybe who made it though "Treasure Craft"

So on ebay I searched for "Treasure Craft Cookie Jar"

again to many options so I narrowed it down to "Treasure Craft Dog"

and this is as close as I got.

Although its not the cookie jar I think that it proved that I'm searching in the right direction. because they look the exact same except the hat and the wording on the keg. I know I already have the cookie jar but I thought it would be fun to buy another one for any other family members if they also loved Grandma Jenses cookie jar :)

so if you have something from the past that you'd love to find even if you have no idea where to start just google anything you remember about it. I'm sure you can get on the right track.

oh and p.s. I had to fill the cookie jar with another blast from the past iced animal cookies (my Grandma Murdock always had them stocked in her cookie jar!)



9 comments:

Lisa K said...

Wow, that was quite the google journey.

Everything I've thought of from the past, I've found on eBay. They were easy to find, but maybe I'll still post them.

Beeswax said...

I love to hunt up weird stuff on ebay. Regular stuff too. We buy and sell most of our cars there. Which is dangerous and exciting.

That is a very nice cookie jar. That little hat is very jaunty. But how was it that you were almost murdered? Please 'splain.

gma and gpa M said...

Shellie, that is exactly as I remember that cookie jar. We'll have to have Aunt Marianne compare it with the picture. She has the original.

I still like that kind of cookie too, as well as most cookies.

Your blog is addicting.

Love, Grandpa

Shan @ Design Gal said...

You made me so homesick for my grandma! She always had the oatmeal cookies with white frosting in the middle in her cookie jar!

Many moons ago, my parents and I went to the Antique Road Show when it was in Utah (the first time). I brought a ceramic Kewpi doll with me that my Great Grandmother gave me. Her father gave it to her after a trip to Europe. They were pretty well off, so he never went cheap on anything. Well, I brought it with me to the antique road show to see what it was worth, and some "antique guru" told me it was a japanese replica/knock off and was worth about $10. I was so ticked. So, years later I started to research my doll online, and found one that was exactly like mine, and had the same signature on the bottom that matched the signature on the bottom of mine! It turns out mine isn't a cheap Japanese knock off, but the real thing and worth way more than $10! Dumb antique lady! Lol!

Sorry for the novel, but I had to share! I love antiques that remind me of my family!

Beeswax said...

sure, I'll accept the rose. What color is it?

Leah said...

Those pink/white iced animal cookies are about my most favorite thing ever. I don't dare ever buy them because I know I'd consume the entire bag in a day. They look nice and yummy tucked into your new cookie jar! LOL

Downs Family said...

Shellie that cookie jar totally gives me flashbacks. It looks exactly like the one Grandma had, and your awesome to top it off with the same cookies. You sieze to amaze me Miss Shellie!

also known as shell said...

shan- I also got a Kewpi doll from this grandma. we are like twins!

Kaci said...

I think he's cute!! :) And mmmm cookies!! I love those cookies too! Elly would rather have M&M cookies...she don't know what she's missin'!! More for me!