Friday, April 4, 2008

El Cheapo

Lisa and I almost got murdered. Honestly everyone should count their blessings that we are still alive. On the way out of Savannah (I think our GPS went evil, came alive, and tried to kill us by taking us to clearly Savannah's Crack Capital) we stopped by a gas station. Now pulling in I didn't really see anything unusual... well yeah the name was "El Cheapo" and the store itself was made entirely of cinderblocks with bars on the windows.... but me being my typical naive trusting self didn't really catch that.El Cheapo

I got out of the car and went to insert my credit card at the pump. Leaving my sister in law and unborn babe "safely" in the car. But there wasn't a credit card pay thing. There was a big sticker that said "Pay Before Pumping" So I would have to go in (we should have left right then.)

I walked in and to my left were the cash registers and employees. The cash register area was surronded by a thick bullet proof glass all around. Behind the glass were two HUGE Turkish dudes. Like as big as grizzley bears.
On the glass were approx 50+ pictures of them, them & their friends, them & their kids, ALL holding machine guns, oozies, and rocket launchers. They were kissing the guns, aiming them, shaking them above their heads. It was THE FREAKEST SCARIEST THING I EVER SAW. Next to the pictures was a sign that read "Nothing In this store is worth dying for" yikes terrorists

While I was standing there this big dude came in. And his eyes were dead. Like he was on crack. How do I know this? Because as he came in I made eye contact with him and smiled and said "Hey!" He just stared me down with murder in his eyes and I almost had a Freaking Heart Attack! Honestly there was no life in his eyes! It was very scary.
the murderer.



So the guy behind the counter was like "What do you need lady"

"uh some gas"

"how much"

"i...don't...know..."

"what are you using to pay"

"I can either pay with Master Card or Visa" I then proceded to open my wallet and give everyone a show of its contents. smart one shellie

"okay I'll put the pump on"


I went out and saw Lisa still sitting safely in the car. While I'm pumping gas I notice big thug dude come out to his car right next to us and rummage through his trunk. I was for sure he was getting some sort of weapon. I hurry and stopped pumping and went back inside to pay. As I was walking in I almost ran into another dude and he knocked over a fan.
Lets just say he was a little pissed.

Then I waited in line to pay and when I got somewhat near the front the big Turkish dude I think was trying to get us out of there so he was like

"Come here I'll take care of you"

so I handed him my credit card and for some reason also pulled out my drivers lisence and held it up next to my face and smiled real big. (I guess I was hoping that my funny sweet side was showing through... maybe that would humanize me and make me less killable.)

I got out of there went to the car where lisa unlocked the door right as I touched the handle and relocked it as soon as I got in. We then peeled out and looked at each other like
"What in the hell was I thinking" -me
"What in the hell was Shellie thinking" -Lisa

7 comments:

Lisa K said...

Call me cold-hearted, but I'm just not one to make eye contact and be friendly with gangsters on crack. I watch First 48 (A&E) and Gangland (History Channel) which have both taught me that I could easily be killed for something petty. That's where my "what were you thinking" came from.

I also love how the guys who work at El Cheapo started out Iranian, then became Russian Mafia members, and are now Turkish. CIA, why haven't you recruited Shellie yet?! =)

Natalie said...

OMG! i'm so glad you are ok. I almost got killed at an empty gas station one night near Tucson, Az. I am definitely a member of the way-too-trusting-and-extremely-naive-club too. I love picturing you smiling next to your drivers liscense. lol

Shan @ Design Gal said...

I think when he said, "Come here I'll take care of you" I would have crapped my pants and ran. Because when I hear, "I'll take care of you" all I can picture is Tony Soprano, taking me into the back room to show me "where the good gas is", then tying me up, stuffing me into his cadillac trunk, and burying me in the woods somewhere.

My mom and I once got lost in Long Beach and ended up at a GHETTO shell gas station. We got out alive, but I've since tried to block that memory- thanks for bringing it back.
*shudder*

bv said...

What does a Turk look like anyway?

You're my hero for these reasons;

A) You were scared and made eye contact anyway
B) You were scared and said 'hey' anyway
C) You were scared and did the cheesy smile thing with your license anyway

but Lisa is right...this is definitely the thing you hear about on 48 Hours!

Jen said...

OMG LMAO!

Leah said...

OH.MY.WORD!!! Now that just made MY heart race a little too fast and my armpits get a little too sweaty and I'm just READING about it! augh! Glad you escaped safely!!

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://jaxezykypy.1accesshost.com/cabybe.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life